Unsurprisingly gogo OK ndIyo McLaughlin mli
ETA – this marks Bunny’s first ever blog post …even though accidentally, I am gonna keep it.
Unsurprisingly gogo OK ndIyo McLaughlin mli
ETA – this marks Bunny’s first ever blog post …even though accidentally, I am gonna keep it.
My life right now. The picture depicts it perfectly. Crazy. Happy. Full of Love.
Shifting base to our hometown was one of the best decision ever. I am getting all the right contacts and support to move in the desired direction with my startup. Apart from my website steadily growing, we also conducted our first physical event, and that was a different kind of experience. We are gearing up for event two, coming week.
Bunny turned two last month and he is just an adorable kid. I keep saying this but he has completely transformed me and my life for better. Now he talks non stop. Why and What have already started accompanying for each and everything around us. He love all Salman and Honey Singh Songs. Can’t stop dancing to them, ya talk about taste :p. Eats on his own most days. Love people and family. If you are visiting us, he will fetch you a glass of water and would ask you, aur chahiye. He loves travelling. He loves balls. Pouts for pictures. Complete poser. And helps me around the house. Growing into the kind of person, I wouldn’t mind in the same house :p
Also leaving you guys with my first media coverage
If you are new mom or know someone please feel free to reach out or hop onto the website – http://www.babywearingstuff.com, it’s bubbling with new products almost everyday.
Also check out my profile pics for the current breastfeeding awareness week. It has become very close to my heart and now I am working towards spreading awareness and bursting few myths and help new moms.
Check out the blog I posted last year this time around – https://somehonestwriting.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/little-discoveries-part-three-nursing-in-public/
And yes we are still on, two years and counting🙂
This morning –
Bunny woke up, I was still sleepy. He as if on a mission stepped off the bed, I had no idea where he was going, just to redirect him and keep him in the same room, I asked him to switch off the fan.
He did that, and forgot what he wanted to do. I said come to mamma again. He came and started feeding and I caught couple of more minutes of sleep.
Again as if on a mission, he kept saying Kela Kela, and went off the bed. I excitedly followed hoping he finally wants to eat something after two days of no food, right in the morning, that sounds like a good day.
He actually wanted the ‘kela’ only to practise peeling it off and throw the waste in dustbin. New found discovery of pressing the dustbin with foot to open the lid. First crying session, when I asked you can do it after two minutes.
Then picking every possible ‘kachra’ and putting it in dustbin. And if you are concerned about the banana, it was offered to mamma and when she took couple of seconds to hold it, it was shown the floor.
Then we went off to brush his teeth, he was least interested in brushing and wanted to play with the Tap. Second shouting session, to take him off the tap/washbasin.
We again came to kitchen to have something like breakfast and tea. Encountered the third and longest tantrum when he wanted to stand and fill water from RO. No amount of coaxing, distracting worked, and he found his way and played happily for 15 – 20 minutes.
I prepared tea and breakfast and we went to another room. He somehow found the plastic knife and took two fresh tomatoes to practise his cutting skills. Which was met with more shouts because he wasn’t able to do it.
Somewhere in the middle of all this he also got hold of my phone , opened a video of playing in ball pit couple of days back and cried for balls balls. I had to fill all his balls at home in his bathing tub to make him happy.
Daddy is not at home for more than three weeks, we were looking at some pics, and another shouting session followed because I mistakenly scrolled a pic which he wanted to see and recognise his folks.
It’s only 12.30 here, the boy slept few minutes back. And I have been practising deep breaths since morning.
Something seemed to changed overnight since Bunny turned 18 mo old. Their independence, interest in learning everything around, practising skills of jumping, running, banging, throwing; practising their vocal chords definitely get on to our nerves.
But all I know is there is a better way than shouting, getting upset or having an emotional breakdown in front of them. They are just being themselves. Tagging them little monster, stubborn and feel guilty for their behaviour do more harm for us.
I am just trying to find gentle ways, to what feels like a regular being a toddler mommy scenario, sitting here with my copy of toddler calm.
Meet the big boy🙂. When you are really angry, seeing their pics is a great stress reliever and a reminder it’s all worth it.
Recently we have achieved a big milestone in Bunny’s journey with Food. This guy all of a little over 17 months have started to dip his roti/paratha/bread in curry/Sabzi and eat. This after denying chapatis for months together.
Apart from that, he has developed a good princer grip since the beginning but these days, he can actually eat semi liquid food with spoon without much spills. Drinks confidentiality with any shape and size of glasses/cups. Knows meal times, knows the concept of eating out in restaurants.
We have been a household of no cerelac, no mashed food and no specific baby food / no special baby food preparation and all I can say is that, it has eased our parenthood to no bound.
We have tried to follow Baby Led Weaning (BLW) with Bunny, with occasional giving in to worried grandmoms/elders.
BLW is basically weaning the baby where baby plays the lead role. Decides how to eat, how much to eat, when to eat. Our job as caregivers is only to offer healthy, baby friendly regular food from time to time. There is a lot of information available about this on the world wide web. I wouldn’t go into the the technicalities, but I will just share things I have learnt over the time.
1. First and foremost, which ever way you decide to wean the baby, please refrain from using force feeding and distraction feeding. These are two of the worst ways to start building relationships with Food for the young ones. I understand worry, I understand how difficult it is to see your Baby eat nothing at all for days together, I am this mom who have seen her chubby baby turning into a really lean one. But trust me no baby starves himself if offered food from time to time. Also even if we choose the purees way, its always good to give a combination of finger foods, soft hold able options so that baby learns to hold, explore different textures and learn to chew as well.
2. Changing definition of ‘not eating enough’. It might be enough for the baby. A morsel of chapati, a spoon of rice, a bite here and there, mom’s milk during nap times – more than enough.
3. The thing is babies naturally know to listen to their bodies, they have yet not learnt to eat to oblige or by clock or by quantity. They know best when they are hungry or done.
4. To accept very early on that baby’s food intake work in phases, atleast till three years of age. So much revolves around teething and growth spurts that its best to take their cues and act accordingly.
5. We have not given Bunny Salt and Sugar till one year, apart from scientific reasons that’s its not needed, mothers milk is best source of nutrition till one year etc; these two flavours are known to overpower the taste buds. And then we start eating for taste rather than hunger. Think about all Junk Food, that would either be salty or sugary.
I dint know how it would actually effect his eating or what would happen when we offer regular salted or sweet food. But actually nothing strange happened, he eats everything. And knows when to stop even when eating his most favorite treats like ice creams.
6. To put a deaf ear when parents say, ‘you used to eat this much’ (showing a big bowl of portion); in those occasions I have happily handed over the food responsibly to them. In reality no one can force feed a child if he doesn’t want or after a certain point. Or bluntly answered neither me or TBH are healthy examples. We have no portion control, we eat for the love of food most times.
7. You save yourself from preparing different baby foods, or carry boxes of baby food or special food during travel. We offer him everything we eat. But take some steps like, when he was in rice eating phase, we just tried to make it more often for the whole family. Or always keeping a favourite fruit or curd handy to offer at a later time if he refuses to eat everything.
8. If you are a worried parent about food, I highly recommend reading ‘ My Child Won’t Eat’. It would change your perception big time. Amazon link here – http://www.amazon.in/My-Child-Wont-Eat-Mealtimes/dp/1780660057?tag=multiagro-21&linkCode=w13&linkID=&ref_=assoc_res_sw_zz_dka_cra_t0_result_1&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Flootainment.in%2F
9. And above all trusting your child works wonder. Making sure there are no shouts, or anger during meal times. Meal times are happy and family times. Start making him sit with you on lap/on floor on high chair anywhere, but involve baby during meal times.
10. And being patient when food is thrown, mess is created. When blunt refusal happens. When favourite food changes overnight. Keep offering is the key, for us it has happened with Banana and Chapati. I can’t tell you when last he has eaten these two. But last two weeks, he would eat them at any given time.
On other side eating healthy food or choosing better alternatives become family’s habit too. BLW is so much more than just offering food to Baby, its about starting a healthy relationship with food which lasts till a lifetime.
Irony is most of us have getting fit/thin as our all time goals and all we want our babies to be fat and chubby. As long as baby is healthy, there is no remarkable weight drop (more than 1kg) let them just be and save your sanity as well. I have seen moms getting super stressed out as the baby starts food, its not suppose to be a struggle but fun time🙂.
Shoot me any question you might have, would direct you to the best resource possible🙂.
Bunny just did the cutest thing ever. It melted my heart and I had to post it.
He got a magic car (a kind of toy car) as a Christmas/New Years/competing 17th mo present and he can’t seem to have enough of it. Playing, riding, honking the horn all the time. So this evening I was working in the kitchen and he kept banging his car to me in fun way. And I said Bunny no, its hurting mama, mama ke pair mein lag rha hai (its hurting mama’s legs), all this while not even looking at him, and this little guy came down, and kissed my legs and gave the broadest smile he could🙂.
Similarly these days anytime I am hurt, I say oh not feeling well, this kiddo will shower me with some lovely kisses🙂.
Anytime we are together and if my hair covers my eyes/face, he cutely keeps blowing them away from my face.
Each morning when he wakes up earlier than me, after playing with me for sometime, if I still don’t wake up, he gets off the bed, brings my specs and tries to put them on my face so that I actually wake up.
We are making him learn to say sorry for some of his conscious mistakes. He does it after reminding, but the funny part is even when anybody else around him says sorry, he will bring his hands to his ears :p.
He has starting to hug people, that’s awesomely cute and heartwarming🙂.
Asking for a Bindi, each time I put one. He really looks super cute in one.
The new craze of checking himself in mirror whenever I make him ready. Specially his socks, he tries to bring his legs up to the mirror level to check :p.
The way this little guy eats noodles/spaghetti.
When he calls anyone who is bald or has white hair – dada.
And such little special things🙂. It’s a joy watching him grow. They grow up so fast, its absolutely unbelievable how independent he has already become.
Leaving you guys with our latest pic, practising ‘oho’, his new expression love🙂
And my little guy turns 14 months old. Just like that. Noting 14 things/traits to see how time changes him🙂
I cant count my blessings enough for BUNNY !!!
Ahh, I don’t think I have used so much Coconut oil in my 27 years of existence, that I used in my one year of motherhood. If you guys remember, I mentioned that we don’t use any soaps, powder, moisturizer or other baby products for Bunny. And it’s been an year of no skin troubles ( touch wood and thank god).
All this while Coconut oil is my biggest discovery. Be it for rashes, body massage, mosquito bites, scratches or as a head oil. You get the drift right? I am so happy that leaving all the fancy baby stuff I chose something basic and desi. Reading about various skin issues in babies scare me to hell. Thanks to our doctor who mentioned that the biggest cause of various skin troubles in babies is using all the marketed baby products which are harsh for their sensitive skin and gladly we followed it.
I am yet to calculate how much money I have saved but it must be a lot😉
If you can get pure/virgin Coconut oil nothing like it, I used the regular oil available in retail stores. Even if you don’t end up using only Coconut oil, please be aware of the side effects of using a lot of other baby products specially Johnson and Johnson and any baby powder. Google it, or will add links later.
What products you guys use? Share the ones you swear buy, now its been an year, I am planning to use a bath gel sort of during Bath time. Do suggest.