The topic defines half of my life, the topic defines half of me, and the topic is very close to my heart so it is going to be long post. I have to also credit the people behind the Losing It contest, that finally made me write this all down.
Being plump has always been normal to me. As far as I can remember I have always been on the wrong side of the scale, so much so that at one point of time I stopped stepping on the weighing machine. Struggle to find perfect fit denims, wearing cloths to hide the over bulging fat, asking the hair stylist to give a cut that would give my face a lean look, getting glances every time I bite into a burger at my fav joint; was all normal for me.
All said, except for few teenage years, weight was never a hindrance in my confidence level. I dressed well, I looked beautiful in a fat way, my chubby cheeks were my identity and even after marriage I am called cute. For me, weight issues should not stop you from living a life. So everything was going good, I never gave it a serious thought though every now and then I would take up a diet, start a walking regime or join yoga, gym, aerobics classes forced by my parents.
Tired of my failed attempts for weight loss my parents did a great job in finding an equally overweight guy who like me doesn’t give a damn about weight. We both ended up with each other making a perfect pair in terms of looks and leading a perfectly normal, happy, foodie life. At least we don’t have to hide our love for food or get embarrassed by our physical appearances in front of each other which could have been a possibility otherwise.
Post marriage eating out, planned dinners and lavish vacations all took a new level added to our weight gain. There was only one hitch – my irregular periods. My cycle has always been irregular and when as a young girl I saw a doc for it, she said it’s normal for some. So it was never a big deal but post marriage it started bothering me and the husband for obvious reasons. Yes, Family Planning is being mentioned here. Also during that time I happen to visit a couple who were planning a baby from long time, and the wife mentioned she is not able to conceive because of her weight, that was a shocker. She looked perfectly; let me spell it P.E.R.F.E.C.T.L.Y. normal as far as weight was concerned.
Surely I was against fat being considered synonymous for ugly but I never wanted weight as against health issues. Health is important for me, till then I never faced any health problems, in fact I had much more stamina, strength or fell less ill as compared to girls I knew of same age. I decided to consult a doctor and was diagnosed with PCOD, if you will read about it; you will realize how common it has become in girls these days. And doctor also confirmed about how irregular period and conception are related to it. She said, if I am not planning to conceive right away I can get rid of the disorder in a natural way if I lose some weight. That was a big relief because I just hate taking medicines for unnecessary things.
For the first time in life I became serious about weight loss. The mere idea of having problems during conception hit me hard probably because I have seen very close couples struggling for years to have a child. And that’s when the journey of my weight loss began. And I am proud to announce that I and husband have together lost some 21 kilograms in a span of 4 months. Hers is how:
FINDING A RIGHT DIETICIAN
- The husband knew of a dietitian who has helped many to get desired results in a natural way, calls were made to her and immediate appointment was taken.
- Dietitian came as a life saver, she consulted both of us and asked our routine, food habits and devised a customized plan. For once we found a dietitian who herself looked beautiful and healthy.
- She gave us healthy and yummy recipes to try, putting in lots of variety so that we ain’t bored of eating same stuff.
- She is always available on phone, and instead of saying us NO, don’t eat, she gives us options that what can we eat if we are eating out
- She taught us to stick to one theme for the day like if its rice, have poha for breakfast, rice for lunch and bhel or some other thing of rice for dinner.
- She made us realize the how much we were eating and how little we actually require if we listen to our body.
- Sometimes it is important to make a hole in our pockets and get instructions to do certain thing rather than waiting for self motivation.
FINDING A PARTNER
- I realized the reason we were able to follow the diet so religiously was because we were together. It became our strength to abide by the diet, we would coax each other to stick to it.
- That reminded me of a competition our company used to run, where world wide we can make partners virtually on the company portal and try to lose weight together. Sharing food consumption, exercise regime and weekly weight stats, so if you don’t have a spouse in need for weight loss make a friend, relative, office colleague your partner in LOSING IT.
EXERCISE, is the only way in long run
- We could see the weight shift on the scale. That inspired us to make more efforts to attain our aim and hunt for best exercise started.
- The husband loved walking, I did not. He was okay with dancing but could not find time and I was uncomfortable. He could play all the sports and I can’t even catch a ball. I can do all yoga positions and he can’t. And we both have common dislike for gyms.
- And after all the hits and trials swimming happened. And we both just love water, love swimming, that’s the only thing that has made me miss my early morning sleep without cribbing. With all the weight loss, the body was getting toned by swimming,
- And at the end it’s all about finding what you love as a workout.
DIET to SELF CONTROL
- The diet plan and the dietitian were followed religiously for three months, after all one gets bored by the routine too.
- That was followed by a lot of travel, frequent guests at our own home, and no swimming because of onset of winters.
- We were very afraid that every thing would go down the hill but in the three months period our body was set in a healthy way.
- We now could not eat as much as we used to eat earlier. Portions were reduced.
- Oil consumption was already reduced to less than half which was not reversed.
- We always made it a point to share our deserts.
- Three months taught us to say NO strictly.
- They taught us to look for healthy options whenever possible. The added expense was covered up by the reduction in hotels bill because of less quantity.
- Missing on some favorite food was compensated by the compliments from friends and relatives.
- And everything went on smooth for couple of more months.
SELF CONTROL to RUJUTA
- When we started losing our self control and were over the initial joy of weight loss, RUJUTA DIWEKAR entered our life through her book.
- The Kareena Kapoor famed dietitian encourages us to eat everything, stick to natural food, local food and how exercise is not a option but a part of life
- She has shared simple things like:
Eat something as soon as you get up, mornings our the best time to eat the desert and how tea should not be the first thing your body gets in the day.
How to follow the age old formula of eating every two ours by taking options like ground nuts, cheese slices, a fruit etc
The last meal of the day should be taken within two hours of sunset
How to start a exercise routine even if it is just once a week but a routine should be followed
How not to deprive your body with your favorite food and how weight loss is a byproduct of a happy – healthy soul.
I highly recommend her book
- We inculcated few of her findings and despite everything our weight did not increase. In fact it kept on moving in the opposite direction.
- I will have to end it with a cliche that weight loss and aiming for a healthy body is all about life style change and not a temporary practice.
- Yes, periods on time, from where it all started. Family planning on charts without worries. Also much more fun in bed.
- Me trying all the outfits I only longed for. Husband doing the same, taking interests in cloths and tucking in every t shirt which he could never do before.
- The new found confidence. The never ending compliments
- Not panting when we take the stairs to our home
- The beautiful pictures of us a couple
- Adding new dimension to life.
We both have still not reached to our ideal weight but we are going to with full form as now we know how to :).